Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Fantasy and Literature

     The reading for fantasy was The Hobbit, a definitive classic in fantasy literature.  I had never read this book before this class, and was surprised in a few ways by what I was reading.  I haven't seen the movie, either, but have seen the Lord of the Rings movies and had a certain level of anticipation for the novel.
     In my mind, I was set up for a pretty gritty and relatively dark fantasy world that I absorbed from the films.  What I got from reading, though, was a bit more light hearted.  Not childish, but less dark that I figured.  I can see why it has captured the minds of thousands.  A lot of artists that I follow cite it as a gigantic reason they're interested in the fantasy genre at all.  Even having seen actors that portray the parts of the characters, I can imagine the black skinned Gollum with his light eyes, crouched in his cavern.  A different design, a bit more appealing than what I saw in Lord of the Rings (which I was really surprised was different).  The relatively short volume and quick pace of the book seemed like it left a lot open for my head to fill in details, or at least what I felt was necessary to imagine.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment