Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Ocean at the End of the Lane

     This book was my introduction to Neil Gaiman's literature.  The only extent of interaction I had with this author was seeing Coraline in theaters, the first 3D movie I subjected my eyeballs to.  He also came to Ringling in the spring of 2012 with is wife, Amanda Palmer, and did some reading opposite of her playing a few songs on a ukulele.  I knew that what he did would appeal to me, but I had not actually tried to prove that to myself before reading Ocean at the End of the Lane.
     The emotion of this book was a bit disturbing to me.  I say this first because it's what hit me so quickly.  Going from the present into the past is nothing new in the beginning of a book; the narrator recollecting his childhood seemed pretty normal.  I knew fantasy elements were going to present, to an extent, but the way in which Gaiman uses imagery and his style of prose is pretty mature in my opinion.  I was prepared for a children's book, and what I read was a bit horror-inspired and not what I expected.  A good example of what I wouldn't want a kid to read or experience is the part where the father repeatedly holds the boy underwater.  And the general idea of a woman/demon coming in to replace one's mother is a pretty disturbing scenario.  I was disgusted when the narrator remembered looking into the window when sneaking out, seeing his father hug Ursula from behind.
   Gaiman's writing style is on point at times, then feels like stream of consciousness at other times.  This  style was pretty appealing to me, feeling pretty real in that I can space out and not miss extra details, and regain intense focus when the action is happening.  My roommate is a big Neil Gaiman advocated, I plan on asking what books I should read next.

No comments:

Post a Comment